[linux-elitists] Announcements and local events (was: The North American Free Software Conference: Freedom-IT)

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 18 19:07:32 PDT 2007

On 19-Oct-2007, Peter Lowe wrote:
> Do people on this list rely on it for notifications of interesting
> events that they wouldn't hear about elsewhere?

Interesting events of worldwide impact, yes (e.g. free software
happenings). Though, on a mailing list, discussion starters are of
more interest than one-way announcements. The latter are better served
on a web page with a syndication feed.

> Do people sending adverts for local events believe they are reaching
> people who are likely to attend, who don't already know about it?

Not I. Local events are not of interest unless they're local to me;
and I already have plenty of sources to tell me about those.

--
 \        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though |
  `\          nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is." |