[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Nov 30 21:32:14 PST 2007

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:36:14PM -0800:

> The one feature which _would_ be damned useful in a browser, first
> voiced to my knowledge by Don Marti, would be an option to run an
> underprivileged, chrooted, and otherwise sandboxed instance in such a
> way that malicious external code and data would have a minimal
> opportunity to cause havoc on my own systems.

I do something sort of like this, daily, to deal
with...let's just say a legacy web application.
Run it as a different user.
  ssh -X legacy@localhost firefox http://internal.example.com/legacy/

There is a good reason to have something like
"profiles" -- testing web sites.  Have your own
profile with your own choice of font settings,
extensions, and other personalization, plus a profile
with stock settings, or maybe one with the red/green
color blindless simulator on.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/