[linux-elitists] All DJB's software released to public domain

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 30 11:18:45 PST 2007

Quoting Karsten M. Self (karsten@linuxmafia.com):

> For those who wanted and needed fast, secure email solutions a decade
> ago, qmail fit a niche.  It probably *did* do a lot to spur on both
> alternatives and improvements to Sendmail.  At the same time, the model
> and architecture used by qmail certainly had its frustrations for those
> of us who found ourselves working with it.

With hard work by Russ Nelson, Charles Cazabon, Dave Sill, Henning
Brauer, and Peter Samuel updating and improving netqmail, it's possible
the codebase will still retain its fanbase.  *I'd* still think the
design's wacked, but everyone has his own gout, nei?

I just regret Dan having handicapped Russ et alii with an inherently
ambiguous legal status for the copyright title, eschewing obvious
alternatives like the MIT/X licence or just "Do whatever the hell you
want with this code.  Copyright (C) 2007 Daniel J. Bernstein" for no
better reason than congenital bloody-mindedness.

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers