[linux-elitists] Linux Application Development

Rob Funk rfunk@funknet.net
Tue Nov 27 08:38:03 PST 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:57:50AM -0500, Rob Funk wrote:
> > Wow, 1998, that's pretty old now when you're talking about Linux
>
> Isn't the 2nd. ed. from 26. November 2004? The reviews are
> a bit polarized.

Ah, sorry, I wasn't aware of the newer edition.  I've had the first
edition sitting here forever, and have somewhat mixed feelings about it.

> > "Advanced Linux Programming" is a little more recent (2001), and
> > worth checking out.  http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/
>
> No reviews at all. Is it any good?

I think so, but it really depends on what you're looking for.
You can download PDFs to see for yourself.
  http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/alp-folder

This is now the least-updated book in the list, but it does cover some
useful Linux specifics.

> Aargh, a yet another Stevens (I have the Unix Network and the TCP/IP
> Illustrated of his). This is getting expensive.

Yeah, I have five big Stevens books (APUE, UNPv1, UNPv2, TCPIPIv1,
TCPIPv2).  Expensive, but for certain types of programming they're
essential.

> > Of course, depending on the tools and libraries you're using, there
> > are lots of other books focusing on things above the system call
> > level.
>
> I'm pretty much a tool, so I need something rather basic.

In that case, maybe "Programming With GNU Software" would be useful,
though it's a decade old.  Or possibly the even older "The Unix
Programming Environment", still occasionally useful even though much of
it is thoroughly obsolete now.

What language(s) are you working in?  What sort of program -- GUI, TUI,
command line, daemon?  And why Linux-specific rather than POSIX?