[linux-elitists] Linux Application Development

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Nov 27 08:11:33 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:57:50AM -0500, Rob Funk wrote:

> Wow, 1998, that's pretty old now when you're talking about Linux

Isn't the 2nd. ed. from 26. November 2004? The reviews are
a bit polarized.

> specifics.  And it looks partly like a failed attempt by Red Hat to
> standardize some libraries they liked.
>
> > Is that it, or am I missing some better alternatives?
> > Thanks.
>
> "Advanced Linux Programming" is a little more recent (2001), and worth
> checking out.  http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/

No reviews at all. Is it any good?

> Don't ignore the classic Unix books:
>
> The second edition of Rochkind's "Advanced UNIX Programming" (2004)

I've got the first edition of that, nice it's been updated.

> includes Linux-specific coverage along with the general Unix stuff.
>   http://basepath.com/aup/
>
> Looks like the second edition of Stevens' essential "Advanced Programming
> in the UNIX Environment" (2005) also includes Linux-specific things.
>   http://www.yendor.com/programming/unix/apue/apue.html
> (I only have the first edition of that one, which I've used quite a bit.)

Aargh, a yet another Stevens (I have the Unix Network and the TCP/IP Illustrated
of his). This is getting expensive.

> Of course, depending on the tools and libraries you're using, there are
> lots of other books focusing on things above the system call level.

I'm pretty much a tool, so I need something rather basic.