[linux-elitists] Linux Application Development

Rob Funk rfunk@funknet.net
Tue Nov 27 07:57:50 PST 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a decent book on Linux-spefic application
> development, and have only found one more or less useful
> book so far, "Linux Application Development" by Johnson and Troan.

Wow, 1998, that's pretty old now when you're talking about Linux
specifics.  And it looks partly like a failed attempt by Red Hat to
standardize some libraries they liked.

> Is that it, or am I missing some better alternatives?
> Thanks.

"Advanced Linux Programming" is a little more recent (2001), and worth
checking out.  http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/

Don't ignore the classic Unix books:

The second edition of Rochkind's "Advanced UNIX Programming" (2004)
includes Linux-specific coverage along with the general Unix stuff.
  http://basepath.com/aup/

Looks like the second edition of Stevens' essential "Advanced Programming
in the UNIX Environment" (2005) also includes Linux-specific things.
  http://www.yendor.com/programming/unix/apue/apue.html
(I only have the first edition of that one, which I've used quite a bit.)

Of course, depending on the tools and libraries you're using, there are
lots of other books focusing on things above the system call level.