[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Thu Nov 22 12:57:09 PST 2007

Hi all.

This post to this list by Karsten M. Self caught my memory:

http://allium.zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2004-November/010576.html

In it, he ranted against several Mozilla and Firefox concepts that he
considered bad. One of them was the Firefox profiles. However, as it turned
out to me, I found them to be very useful.

First of all let me know, that my family have been using two Firefox profiles
on a single Windows' machine account, so that only one will log in to the
university's network, for some time now. A similar setup could prove useful
for someone who only has an under-privileged account on a UNIX machine.

Furthermore, each profile has its own list of installed and enabled plugins.
So if some plugins misbehave under certain conditions, one can use a profile
that doesn't have them installed. Recently, I tried to post to LiveJournal
using my default and overloaded Firefox profile, and it got stuck after
previewing the post. So today I set up another profile which I called "Bare
Essentials" with no plugins defined, and used it to post to LiveJournal. It
worked beautifully on both times without a hick-up.

Karsten's comment about the fact that a user is prompted to create a profile,
has since been resolved. Now Firefox automatically creates a default profile,
and most users will never see the profiles' choice dialog. One can configure
Firefox to show it at startup in order to choose a profile, but it's
otherwise kept out of the concern of most mundane users.

So I think the Firefox profiles, as currently implemented are a good idea, and
a useful feature of the browser.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish