[linux-elitists] Site duplication... is this widespread?

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Tue Nov 20 17:46:11 PST 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 02:40:25 pm Ben Finney wrote:
> On 20-Nov-2007, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:09:43 Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > > Watching my logs today, I discovered a ton of hits to internal
> > > pages (CSS mostly) with an external referrer. In fact, it was
> > > an external referrer that had duplicated every externally
> > > linked page on my site including the redirects (their root
> > > redirected to the same path as my mediawiki root, relative to
> > > their site).
> >
> > Given that you control the CSS, you have a perfect opportunity to
> > make his entire site un-viewable, simply by changing the CSS when
> > the referer is set externally (white text on white background?)
>
> Which will all end as soon as they decide to duplicate the CSS
> documents on their server as well.

You might entertain the thought that if they knew how to modify CSS
they might be able to figure out how to write it/copy it in the first
place.  if you do the white text on white background deal I'd be
willing to bet it would send then editing content, not form.

This concept of anti-leach might help....
http://tips-scripts.com/?tip=leech#tip

James