[linux-elitists] Site duplication... is this widespread?

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org@the-tilghman.com
Tue Nov 20 08:15:14 PST 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:09:43 Aaron Sherman wrote:
> I run a mostly freely licensed site, so I have no cause to complain when
> someone duplicates my content, but today I was still a little shocked to
> see just how completely my site had been duplicated...
>
> Watching my logs today, I discovered a ton of hits to internal pages
> (CSS mostly) with an external referrer. In fact, it was an external
> referrer that had duplicated every externally linked page on my site
> including the redirects (their root redirected to the same path as my
> mediawiki root, relative to their site).
>
> Do other folks see this sort of activity? What do you do when it happens?

Given that you control the CSS, you have a perfect opportunity to make his
entire site un-viewable, simply by changing the CSS when the referer is set
externally (white text on white background?)

> Licensing-wise, I'm not sure of the implications. Their site claims
> (because it's 100% the same content) that it's my site. I'm not sure
> that satisfies the attribution requirements of CC-By-SA. Would that
> constitute infringement?

You have an automatic copyright by publishing the content, and any right
not explicitly given to him is retained by you, so this is copyright
infringement.  However, since you're not running it in a commercial context
and since you haven't registered the copyright, any action to curtail the
infringement is likely to cost you more than you'd ever get in damages.

Knocking over the duplicate site by monkeying with the CSS is probably the
best revenge you can hope for.

--
Tilghman