[linux-elitists] Site duplication... is this widespread?

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Tue Nov 20 07:09:43 PST 2007

I run a mostly freely licensed site, so I have no cause to complain when
someone duplicates my content, but today I was still a little shocked to
see just how completely my site had been duplicated...

Watching my logs today, I discovered a ton of hits to internal pages
(CSS mostly) with an external referrer. In fact, it was an external
referrer that had duplicated every externally linked page on my site
including the redirects (their root redirected to the same path as my
mediawiki root, relative to their site).

Do other folks see this sort of activity? What do you do when it happens?

Licensing-wise, I'm not sure of the implications. Their site claims
(because it's 100% the same content) that it's my site. I'm not sure
that satisfies the attribution requirements of CC-By-SA. Would that
constitute infringement?

The really odd part is that the registrant of the domain is in the same
suburb of Boston as me... makes me wonder if I should just wander over
and have a chat ;)