[linux-elitists] New (and !IMPROVED) Linux Journal Site

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Fri Nov 16 08:55:27 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 01:21 -0500, Modus Operandi wrote:
> In the immortal words of Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>:
> > Quoting Greg Folkert (greg@gregfolkert.net):
> >
> > > Egads!
> > > Takes for ever to load.
> >
> > Does OK, here.
> >
> > > Looks like a content management site gone bad.
>
> Greg, be nice to Drupal! When has it ever hurt you?

Well, a lot actually. We use WebGUI http://www.webgui.org/

Its tough to get your head around, but we've been doing it for quite a
while and it supports dern near anything you wanna do (its written in
Perl for those that care).  It was a choice made before I started (by a
long shot), but I've been able to get it to work without problems in a
load-balanced situation and integration via differing data access
methods is pretty easy.

I've currently got a Word Press thinger going for myself... but I
haven't been quite as prolific as I once thought I would be.

> > > Don't get me wrong... it "looks" nice.
> >
> > Drupal, again.  There's a characteristic look to the thing, a uniform
> > sort of cluttered mediocrity.
>
> Hey, Rick! I resmble^H^H^H^Hnt that remark:
>
> http://www.agendanation.net/021/internet
>
> I used Drupal when I interviewed "the Internet."

Drupal... wow, I used that back in 2001, well sorta. It blew up on me
multiple times in 2001. In any case: GLOBALS (not SUPERGLOBALS)

> > > Click on ANY links there, especially any nodes... 30 second load times.
> >
> > About three seconds, here (Firefox 2.0 on Xubuntu PPC, no Flash
> > interpreter).  Dunno, maybe you're getting clobbered by Flash processing?
> > (I haven't bothered to cross-check or look at page source, so that's
> > strictly a SWAG.)

Flash... maybe, but nothing else was showing the issues, but I am seeing
the probs with the LJ, even now.

Well, its a deep subject.

> Yep, Linux Journal pages load in about 3 seconds for me,
> even on this old hardware:
>
> modus@igor:~/OpenVPN$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : Unknown CPU Type
> stepping        : 0
> cpu MHz         : 1333.238
> cache size      : 256 KB
> bogomips        : 2669.33
>
> modus@igor:~/OpenVPN$ cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:      1003340 kB
>
> Hardly a hot-rod. Also, I'm on an 802.11g uplink to a 10/100 Ethernet
> sharing a cable modem in a 25-way split (with some QoS in tc scripts.)
>
> I don't see anything to complain about on Linux Journal.

greg@princess:~ [0] $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1837.616
cache size      : 512 KB
bogomips        : 3678.80

greg@princess:~ [0] $ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1556552 kB

Welp, I guess its just me then. But it still happens.

iceweasel, adblock plus, firebug, tab-mix-plus, a few others...

Oh, I just checked my spankin T61 2.2GHz C2D Lapper 4GB memory... 10
seconds on render completion of first page, but the clicks on nodes are
much better, 3-5 seconds tops. And since the LCD has good contrast
things look better.

Guess its just me.
--
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>