[linux-elitists] New (and !IMPROVED) Linux Journal Site

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Nov 15 22:21:40 PST 2007

In the immortal words of Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>:
> Quoting Greg Folkert (greg@gregfolkert.net):
>
> > Egads!
> > Takes for ever to load.
>
> Does OK, here.
>
> > Looks like a content management site gone bad.

Greg, be nice to Drupal! When has it ever hurt you?

> > Don't get me wrong... it "looks" nice.
>
> Drupal, again.  There's a characteristic look to the thing, a uniform
> sort of cluttered mediocrity.

Hey, Rick! I resmble^H^H^H^Hnt that remark:

http://www.agendanation.net/021/internet

I used Drupal when I interviewed "the Internet."

> > Click on ANY links there, especially any nodes... 30 second load times.
>
> About three seconds, here (Firefox 2.0 on Xubuntu PPC, no Flash
> interpreter).  Dunno, maybe you're getting clobbered by Flash processing?
> (I haven't bothered to cross-check or look at page source, so that's
> strictly a SWAG.)

Yep, Linux Journal pages load in about 3 seconds for me,
even on this old hardware:

modus@igor:~/OpenVPN$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Unknown CPU Type
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1333.238
cache size      : 256 KB
bogomips        : 2669.33

modus@igor:~/OpenVPN$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1003340 kB

Hardly a hot-rod. Also, I'm on an 802.11g uplink to a 10/100 Ethernet
sharing a cable modem in a 25-way split (with some QoS in tc scripts.)

I don't see anything to complain about on Linux Journal.

--
/home/modus/.signature
Fri Nov 16 01:06:43 EST 2007