[linux-elitists] wtf is "public domain"?

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Thu Nov 8 20:00:32 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 06:15:20PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Nathaniel Smith (njs@pobox.com):
>
> > daemontools is actually one of the better things DJB has written.
> > Best thing about it?  There's a superior implementation that isn't
> > DJB-ware:
> >   http://smarden.org/runit/
>
> Rather rushed mini-lecture about SysVInit, listing "runit" and several
> other candidate replacements -- mercilessly ripped out of a MediaWiki
> instance (and needing some replacement markup):
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/init.html

This brings to mind that I never really understood the finer details of
the kernel initiation process, how the kernel interfaces with system and
user processes, and why the fuss about it.

One of the first things I ever did, however, was get my modem running through
mgetty and I used the HOWTO-Serial_devices or some such helpful howto page
to manually install and configure a slip connection thought a serial modem.

As a fresh newbie and armed only with my mastery of the English Language and
my extenssive expereince with a TR80 COCO2 computer, I managed to walk through
nearly the entire range of the OS's core functions, including reinstalling
an entire new BSD-like initiation tree in inittab, getty configuration files,
chat scripts and the works.

When I saw how easy it was to put an ethernet card on the net, I was in shock
and I'm still not certain why I don't need getty processes to listen in the
ethernet cards.

Ruben