[linux-elitists] Silence! Re: google phones

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Nov 7 00:17:04 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 03:52:30PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:41:10AM -0500, Ruben Safir (ruben@mrbrklyn.com) wrote:
> > By Leslie Cauley, USA TODAY
> >     Breaking news E-mail alerts
> > NEW YORK  Google (GOOG) today plans to announce the formation of an
> > "open phone" coalition, with the goal of developing an operating
> > system for the so-called Google Phone.
>
> In a not-very-linux-or-elitist followup: a friend found themselves, once
> again, woken up last night at 1:30 and again at 4:30 am by an
> unidentified caller dialing an iPhone.  This has happened a few times.
>
> Let me clarify:  pretty damned near every night.  For a month.
>

> Apparently neither the joy-happy-fun-love folks at Apple, nor our
> Monopolistic Overlords at PacBell^W Cingular^W SBC^W AT&T have thought
> to implement a pretty bloody obvious feature for a phone, in a world of
> increasingly low-cost connectivity:  specified blocklisting (specified
> numbers or unidentified numbers), or specified whitelisting (specified
> numbers), in particular, one which might be enabled/disabled readily by
> the user at various times of the day.
>
> I might, for example, be willing to be awakened at 4 in the morning by
> my parents, girlfriend, or children, in the event of a dire emergency,
> but not by Joe (or Rajnish or Mei or Ivan) Random Fax Teledialer.  I
> might be willing to accept calls from known numbers much of the rest of
> the day, and even allow interruptions from unknown numbers for an hour
> or so.  Why isn't this functionality available?
>
> Calling AT&T it appears that there is no feature in place to block

With regard to this, I've had an interesting interaction this past week with
my kids.  I noticed a phone call to Tenesse for 3 hours at midnight.  So
I do a search for the number and I'd found that nearly once a week for
several months someone has been making such a call to such a number, sometimes
even at 2AM.  So I'm working the overnight and I call the number and I get
some kid without much information.  The next day my ex-wife calls and tries to
identify the person, calls them and asks who they are.

So the kids parents get all upset and leave me several ***interesting*** voice
mails which when I have a chance I'll let you listen to since they are wave
files.  They are a textbook case of parental misinformation, distrust,
discovery and what happens when you give your kids cell phones in the internet
age.

Ruben