[linux-elitists] Silence! Re: google phones

Tue Nov 6 21:19:41 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 05:47:36PM -0800, T.R. Fullhart wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 3:52 PM, Karsten M. Self <karsten@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > Apparently neither the joy-happy-fun-love folks at Apple, nor our
> > Monopolistic Overlords at PacBell^W Cingular^W SBC^W AT&T have thought
> > to implement a pretty bloody obvious feature for a phone, in a world of
> > increasingly low-cost connectivity:  specified blocklisting (specified
> > numbers or unidentified numbers), or specified whitelisting (specified
> > numbers), in particular, one which might be enabled/disabled readily by
> > the user at various times of the day.
>
> I think GrandCentral supports this and it's free.
>
> Pros include:
> * Whitelist by caller ID.
> * Flexible rules system includes time of day.
> * Send the call to one or more phones at once.
> * It can send callers the "Sorry, this number isn't in service" message.
> * Web and email based voicemail.
>
> Cons include:
> * You have to get a separate number from GrandCentral, you can't port
> your current number.
> * People can't text message your GrandCentral number, GrandCentral
> won't forward your text message on.
>
> If you want an invite, even just to play with the service, just let me
> know. Since Google bought them last summer, I know that there is a lot
> of active development going on so some of those cons are subject to
> change.

Oh hey TR, I didn't know you were on the list.

>From what I hear, you can't port your number *yet*.  That may be
possible in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

--
 - Jason                                       Last known location: 24.6.3.244

A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831