[linux-elitists] Silence! Re: google phones

T.R. Fullhart kayos@genetikayos.com
Tue Nov 6 17:47:36 PST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 3:52 PM, Karsten M. Self <karsten@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Apparently neither the joy-happy-fun-love folks at Apple, nor our
> Monopolistic Overlords at PacBell^W Cingular^W SBC^W AT&T have thought
> to implement a pretty bloody obvious feature for a phone, in a world of
> increasingly low-cost connectivity:  specified blocklisting (specified
> numbers or unidentified numbers), or specified whitelisting (specified
> numbers), in particular, one which might be enabled/disabled readily by
> the user at various times of the day.

I think GrandCentral supports this and it's free.

Pros include:
* Whitelist by caller ID.
* Flexible rules system includes time of day.
* Send the call to one or more phones at once.
* It can send callers the "Sorry, this number isn't in service" message.
* Web and email based voicemail.

Cons include:
* You have to get a separate number from GrandCentral, you can't port
your current number.
* People can't text message your GrandCentral number, GrandCentral
won't forward your text message on.

If you want an invite, even just to play with the service, just let me
know. Since Google bought them last summer, I know that there is a lot
of active development going on so some of those cons are subject to
change.

T.R. Fullhart