[linux-elitists] Silence! Re: google phones

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox.com
Tue Nov 6 16:57:14 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 03:52:30PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> It would be very slick if a combination of open platform OS + system,
> and hardware devices, were made available which could address
> deficiencies such as this.  I've seen the iPhone (don't use it myself)
> and admire its UI advances (many must a matter of thinking about the
> user and usbility), but still can't help seeing the device as largely
> envisioned as a channel for cramming "content" and costs down the throat
> (or up another orifice) of "the user".
>
> Google phone might be part of that solution, anything else there that's
> a good base?  And what's the hardware side look like these days?  That
> slick handheld touch-screen thingie that got Best of Show at LWESF last
> summer looks like a good start.

They're pretty high profile, so perhaps you've seen them already and
I'm missing something in your request, but... have you looked at
OpenMoko?  They're building hardware specifically to run the
Linux/GTK+ open software stack they're also building, hired a bunch of
the usual FOSS embedded guys to help do it, first-gen hardware has
been on sale for a while, second-gen mass-market is planned to start
shipping in December, etc.  iPhone-style touch interface, GSM as a
D-Bus interface, official "how to disassemble the phone we just sold
you" wiki page, all that.  What's unclear at the moment is how
successful they'll be at turning out a really reliable and usable
phone that's competitive with other options on the market... but hey,
certainly you can add the features you describe.

-- Nathaniel

--
Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen