[linux-elitists] wtf is "public domain"?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa@redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 10:47:40 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 20:03 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org):
>
> > http://cr.yp.to/talks/2007.11.02/slides.pdf
>
> The DJB faithful report that he's not yet elaborated elsewhere, e.g.,
> not on http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html (as per
> http://marc.info/?l=qmail&m=119416417029478&w=2).  On the bright side,
> that's apparently motivated Russ Nelson and friends to (finally) plan
> netqmail 1.06 (http://marc.info/?l=qmail&m=119422615630056&w=2) --
> presumably properly integrating that huge stack of patches rather than
> just shipping them with a patch script.
>
> Trust Dan, though, to find the only legal category _more_
> problem-filled than his old no-licence one.  Please see:
> "Public Domain" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Licensing_and_Law/

No kidding. I'm pretty sure he can't put something into the Public
Domain, unless he's been working for the US government the whole time.

With no disrespect to djb, I've always wondered whether the lack of
security problems in qmail has any correlation to the fact that no Linux
distribution of any signficance can ship it.

~spot