[linux-elitists] Civil Rights in the Digital Age

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Fri Nov 2 22:40:39 PDT 2007

On Thursday 01 November 2007 07:42:14 am Ruben Safir wrote:
> I've been trying to compile a list of possible orginations and companies
> involved with Free SOftware and Multi-media
>
> So far I have roughly
>
> Players and Streaming Orgs
>
> http://www.cedelia.com/streamplug/eng/index.html
> http://www.videolan.org/
> http://www.real.com/
> http://www.rhapsody.com/home.html
> http://xinehq.de/
> http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/
>
> Free Video Codecs:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow
> http://jffmpeg.sourceforge.net/download.html
> http://www.mpeg.org/
>
> Rippers and Recorders:
> http://www.fuzzymonkey.net/software/gtranscode/
> http://drip.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/features.cipp
> http://handbrake.m0k.org/
> http://untrepid.com/acidrip/
>
> Video Recorders and Editors:
> http://www.robfisher.net/video/
> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
> http://heroinewarrior.com/mix2000.php3
> http://cvs.cinelerra.org/about.php
> http://www.kinodv.org/
> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
> http://heroinewarrior.com/mix2000.php3
> http://cvs.cinelerra.org/about.php
> http://www.kinodv.org/
> http://www.kdenlive.org/
> http://www.cinepaint.org/
>
> Multimedia Devices:
> http://tvease.net/wiki/index.php?title=TVease_WiKi_Home
>

> I'd like to find people involved in codec development to make presentations
> on the issues facing Free Software Video distribution, archiving, streaming
> and storing.  Can anyone point me in a good direction?
>
> Also, does anyone have contacts with Hollywood studios that have used
> Free Software for movie production who might be willing to make a
> presentation on this topic?
>
> Ruben

Ruben you might want to check out http://videotechnology.com/   This site is
run by  John Sokol,  One of the originals from i386BSD/FreeBSD.   Either
through the site or by contacting John he might be able to add a lot to your
list.  Feel free to drop my name if you think it will help.

James