[linux-elitists] 2.6.23 Kernel = Win for Xen and KVM and a loss for VMware

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Fri Nov 2 14:28:10 PDT 2007

In the immortal words of Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org>:
> <quote who="Modus Operandi">
>
> > Ubuntu used to be much worse in this regard. Around the Hoary/Breezy era,
> > I seem to recall that the server edition installed all sorts of desktop
> > crap. Nowadays, the Gutsy installer lets you install just ssh if you
> > really don't want LAMP or anything on there. Useful if you want to install
> > a barebone host OS to run virtualized servers.
>
> Ubuntu has always had a small install set without desktop foo, it's just
> more obvious now that it was then. :-)
>
> - Jeff

  Hrmph. Here's an example of weird dependencies on X11 foo -- it's
  obviously vmware's problem, though, and not Ubuntu's problem:

  http://communities.vmware.com/thread/109066

  It's a mystery -- why would the xorg-dev libs be necessary to
  install VMware Server 1.0.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 32-bit, but not on
  Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit?

  Speaking of things that are obviously vmware's problem:

  http://servervirtualization.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/10/linux-kernel-2623-win-for-xen-and-kvm-and-a-loss-for-vmware/

--
/home/modus/.signature
Fri Nov  2 17:14:24 EDT 2007