[linux-elitists] Show Us The Code

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 3 21:56:54 PST 2007

Quoting David L. Anselmi (anselmi@anselmi.us):

> The Debian bug on this says that --iso-8601 is deprecated in favor of
> --rfc-3339 and contains links to the upstream discussion:

> Be nice if there were a short option, I guess.

'-I' is now deprecated (and deliberately dropped from the manpage, which
seems bloody minded) for the same reason that --iso-8601 was.  Option
-i was proposed as a replacement short option (standing for 'Internet
time'), but rejected because Paul Eggert's PC clock was too jittery
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2005-09/msg00056.html).

So, the best approximation we'll be permitted to the brevity and clarity
of 'date -I' is

  date +%Y-%m-%d

or

  date --rfc-3339=date

Argh.  Just kill me now.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                 "Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor."