[linux-elitists] is it possible to download audio files from Sony ICD-P520 recorder onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake

Darlene Wallach freepalestin@dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 30 21:53:47 PDT 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin@dslextreme.com):
>

>>I have not found a way to download audio files from the Sony ICD-P520
>>onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake. The driver that came with the recorder only
>>works on MS - various versions.
>

> Which is not surprising, by the way, and in itself doesn't tell you
> anything.  You should never be terribly surprised when the manufacturer
> provides no information, let alone drivers, for Linux.  (Note that what
> we want from them _isn't_ drivers but rather technical specs and sample
> code without an NDA requirement.)
>

>>I'm trying to help someone out to save some audio.
>

> I'd say support for the USB sound-out functionality sounds unlikely.
> Reason:  Have a look at the Sony ICD-P320 and similar entries in the
> Linux-USB Project's pages on audio-class devices:
> http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=7&o=300&w=t&s=v&d=a
>
> How I got there:
>
> 1.  Start at my cheat-sheet on Linux hardware support, a "link farm"
> page to which I attempt to add all the really useful primary sites on
> Linux driver support for various types of hardware:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/  My knowledgebase ->
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware  Hardware category ->
> "Help Resources" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware  ("List of info.
>    resources for all hardware categories -- plus Linux news / reference
>    and application-info resources")
>
> 2.  Browse down to the USB entries, and notice:
>    USB:
>     * Main site: http://www.linux-usb.org/
>
> 3.  On that linked site, pick "Working devices list", then "Devices".
> Now, pick category "Audio - Speakers, I/O devices, etc.", and the "Show"
> button.  You can now see what sorts of devices are supported, and what
> are not.
>
> As is the case in other hardware categories, sometimes you can find
> information about some apparently very similar device being supportable,
> look up the details of how that one got supported, and discover that the
> same trick works for yours.  If so, please do submit an entry for the
> working devices list:  That's how it gets improved!

Rick,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my
question and answer it so thoroughly. I really appreciate
your patience and expertise. I need to remember to check
out your website before I post a question.

I guess if I want a copy of the audio, I'll have to
convert it to mp3 on someones computer that has some form
of MS installed. Otherwise, I'll leave it to other people
to handle the audio file.

Darlene