[linux-elitists] is it possible to download audio files from Sony ICD-P520 recorder onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 30 14:58:34 PDT 2007

Quoting Tilghman Lesher (zgp-org@the-tilghman.com):

> The problem with the Sony voice recorders isn't so much that we
> cannot get the recording off the device.  The problem is that Sony
> uses a proprietary codec (LPEC) to encode the audio, which makes it
> impossible to create open source software to decode the recording.

Aha.

Literature about the devices also claim that they are "mp3-compatible",
but with no indication what that means, so I assumed it meant very
little.  ;->