[linux-elitists] is it possible to download audio files from Sony ICD-P520 recorder onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org@the-tilghman.com
Mon Jul 30 14:54:59 PDT 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 15:51, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin@dslextreme.com):
> > I have not found a way to download audio files from the Sony
> > ICD-P520 onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake. The driver that came with the
> > recorder only works on MS - various versions.
>
> Which is not surprising, by the way, and in itself doesn't tell you
> anything.  You should never be terribly surprised when the
> manufacturer provides no information, let alone drivers, for Linux.
> (Note that what we want from them _isn't_ drivers but rather
> technical specs and sample code without an NDA requirement.)

The problem with the Sony voice recorders isn't so much that we
cannot get the recording off the device.  The problem is that Sony
uses a proprietary codec (LPEC) to encode the audio, which makes it
impossible to create open source software to decode the recording.
You might be able to run the original software under Wine; that is
currently your only option unless or until Sony delivers details on
the codec itself, without patent encumberances.

--
Tilghman