[linux-elitists] is it possible to download audio files from Sony ICD-P520 recorder onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 30 13:51:28 PDT 2007

Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin@dslextreme.com):

> I have not found a way to download audio files from the Sony ICD-P520
> onto FC 3 or Dapper Drake. The driver that came with the recorder only
> works on MS - various versions.

Which is not surprising, by the way, and in itself doesn't tell you
anything.  You should never be terribly surprised when the manufacturer
provides no information, let alone drivers, for Linux.  (Note that what
we want from them _isn't_ drivers but rather technical specs and sample
code without an NDA requirement.)

> I'm trying to help someone out to save some audio.

I'd say support for the USB sound-out functionality sounds unlikely.
Reason:  Have a look at the Sony ICD-P320 and similar entries in the
Linux-USB Project's pages on audio-class devices:
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=7&o=300&w=t&s=v&d=a

How I got there:

1.  Start at my cheat-sheet on Linux hardware support, a "link farm"
page to which I attempt to add all the really useful primary sites on
Linux driver support for various types of hardware:

http://linuxmafia.com/kb/  My knowledgebase ->
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware  Hardware category ->
"Help Resources" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware  ("List of info.
   resources for all hardware categories -- plus Linux news / reference
   and application-info resources")

2.  Browse down to the USB entries, and notice:
   USB:
    * Main site: http://www.linux-usb.org/

3.  On that linked site, pick "Working devices list", then "Devices".
Now, pick category "Audio - Speakers, I/O devices, etc.", and the "Show"
button.  You can now see what sorts of devices are supported, and what
are not.

As is the case in other hardware categories, sometimes you can find
information about some apparently very similar device being supportable,
look up the details of how that one got supported, and discover that the
same trick works for yours.  If so, please do submit an entry for the
working devices list:  That's how it gets improved!