[linux-elitists] On forwards and references

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Tue Jul 17 09:53:49 PDT 2007

Eugen Leitl:
> ----- Forwarded message from "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu> -----
>
> From: "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
> To: Chris Samuel <csamuel@vpac.org>
> Cc: beowulf@beowulf.org
> Subject: A Modest Proposal (was [Beowulf] openMosix  ending)

For reference, this message appears in the context of its thread at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.clustering.beowulf.general/18737
(the Subject: line is linked to the multi-pane threaded view).

For most technical lists, it is preferrable to post a gmane link,
especially the sort that include the Message ID:

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3cPine.LNX.4.64.0707171054010.11818%40lilith.rgb.private.net%3e

I realize that's a little long, but it includes all the relevant
information to find the message in your own mail archives as well as on
the Web.  This way if people really don't like gmane for some reason,
they can just use another search system to find
Pine.LNX.4.64.0707171054010.11818@lilith.rgb.private.net (although I
notice that as of this writing that message ID isn't yet known to
Google).

Even with the long-line version of the gmane URL, you will then have
enough room to put your own original commentary on the referenced post.
This avoids both top-posting and "scroll forever to read what *I* have
to say" problems, and avoids making it look like you just randomly
forward stuff from one list to another for no apparent reason.

When I feel that some immediate context needs to be provided in order
for anyone to even see the relevance of the link, it's best to include
the relevant portions.  My preferred style is to act as though the
content of a Web page were a message that I replied to, like so:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.clustering.beowulf.general/18737
> To make a really cheap card for certain functions, you basically make
> the system CPU do a lot of the work instead of putting a PU and
> firmware on the card itself.

And here you see me blah blah blah about winmodems or something in
reply.

At the very least, if you're going to sling whole messages around, it's
best to include the message ID.

--
"Some of us figured out in the 1950s                     Nick Moffitt
that blacklists were a bad idea.                        nick@zork.net