[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Brandon Edens brandon@cs.uri.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:52:39 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 10:41:24PM -0400, Modus Operandi wrote:

>   Real Linux Elitists don't run dual-boot systems. If they have to run
>   Windows XP Professional for some reason, they use KVM -- the Kernel
>   Virtual Machine, not a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch -- to run Windows
>   in a virtualized environment. If you're using a Debian derivative like
>   Ubuntu, you'll need the kvm and qemu packages. It won't work with the
>   Dapper Drake (6.06 LTS) but it should work with 7.04, the Feisty Fawn:

I've been working with Modus to setup KVM+QEMU on the new AS220 server. Are we
using Windows XP Profession in a virtual image? Of course not.

Is it zippier than VMWare server/workstation? We couldn't care less.

What do we care about? The fact that KVM+QEMU is free software, in active
development, non-cumbersome, and can be hacked on if need be.

Plus its fun.
Brandon

P.S. we did encounter problems with QEMU+KVM in relation to the Ubuntu
install/live CDROMs. They don't boot. We'd thought it was related to the Intel
virtualization technology not implementing processor Real mode. However, as it
turns out my AMD workstation also could not boot the CDROM. Perhaps this is
related to the usage of the Splash screen? Regardless, KVM+QEMU will boot the
Gentoo LiveCDs and we were able to install by following the Gentoo install
process while unpacking a flat Ubuntu installation rather than say a Gentoo
stage3.

--
Brandon Edens                                   brandon@cs.uri.edu
http://www.brandonedens.org