[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Brandon Edens brandon@cs.uri.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:34:46 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 02:07:14AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> motherboard designs built around rather problematic Nvidia Nforce4
> southbridge chipsets (my opinion, yours for a small fee).  I'm pretty

I want to chime in because I stupidly bought this Asus Republic of Gamers
motherboard (chipset nVidia 590SLI - C51/MCP55 - AMD) because it had 6 SATA
ports and 2 PCI-Express 16x slots. I wanted to run RAID5 with 6 drives in a
workstation and it was a good choice at the time. Well as it turns out these
nVidia yokels wrote/built some crappy SATA hardware/controllers and they
released specs for it with a NDA that has turned off the Linux SATA developers.
Who can blame the developers.  So I don't get native command queuing (NCQ) on my
drives and it appears that they aren't even running in SATA 3.0Gbps mode.

Go figure.

Nowadays nVidia is implementing AHCI compliant SATA but it doesn't help me out.
Lesson learned...

Next time I WILL take the time to build my own hardware on my Spartan 3E instead
of this expensive quick fix. :)

Brandon

--
Brandon Edens                                   brandon@cs.uri.edu