[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Sloan joe@tmsusa.com
Thu Jul 12 10:22:37 PDT 2007

Greg KH wrote:
> The closed source kernel driver issue is known to violate the license
> of the rest of the Linux kernel, going against the law and wishes of the
> people and companies you rely apon to give you that product in the first
> place.

While the nvidia drivers do indeed seem to be against the wishes of
some, the charge that it violates the license seems open to
interpretation IMHO. Of course, if we were all good little citizens,
we'd probably be running windoze anyway, because that's what the man
says you gotta use.
> I have no problem if you wish to run closed source software as long as
> you abide by the licensing issues.  However, if you flaunt your
> disrespect of the license of the software you are using, prepare to make
> people pissed off at you.

It's certainly not *my* intention to piss off the kernel developers. Far
from it. But on desktop machines which are equipped with nvidia
graphics, I run the nvidia drivers for the same reason I run linux: I'm
desirous of excellence - and I will not show my co-workers a linux box
with sluggish graphics.

Joe