[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jul 12 10:13:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:07:12AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> The closed source kernel driver issue is known to violate the license
> of the rest of the Linux kernel, going against the law and wishes of the
> people and companies you rely apon to give you that product in the first
> place.

Okay, this is a valid point. I do not do that gladly though, and consider
that violation a temporary state, to be rectified in (near?) future. I'd
rather buy open hardware and ditto drivers, at considerable premium at equivalent
performance, but such things are not yet available. Intel open source drivers is
a potential alternative (though I'd rather give my money to AMD, instead of Intel,
but ATI open source driver support is apparently not going to happen, ever),
though IIRC the performance is not comparable to even measly GeForce 7600 GS.

> I have no problem if you wish to run closed source software as long as
> you abide by the licensing issues.  However, if you flaunt your
> disrespect of the license of the software you are using, prepare to make
> people pissed off at you.

Okay, I'll try to avoid such hot-button issues in future.