[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jul 12 09:55:22 PDT 2007

begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 02:27:27PM +0200:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:35:01PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Especially people who knowingly enter "I will not help the community"
> > agreements, and then come to that community's elitists for help.
>
> Let me think... nope, I didn't. Never signed any such thing.

You're not likely to get help with "Nvidiux" on l-e.
It might be a good idea to do a little research to
see if you can do what you need to do using Intel
graphics hardware.  There are list members who might
be willing to help you out on that.

If you really find that you need to run Nvidia
proprietary kernel code in combination with Linux, go
buy an HP workstation.  HP has some kind of technical
coperation agreement with Nvidia that means they're
more likely to be able to fix the thing.

Of course, Nvidia's choice on licensing is a bad
idea in the long run, but in the short run your
questions about Nvidia should be ending up in some
vendor's support queue, not out on random mailing
lists of people who (1) want to discourage this kind
of behavior and (2) couldn't give you meaningful help
if they wanted to.

> I see. "You've used proprietary software at some point in the past,
> hence you're untouchable to us henceforth, forever". If that's what
> you're saying you're not merely religious, you're a fanatic.

There's a big difference between "you're untouchable"
and "we won't give you free technical advice on
this subject."  It's like the difference between
"no SUV drivers allowed to attend Save the Planet
Club meetings" and expecting the club to help you
change the oil in your Chevrolet Suburban.

If you do get this thing running, and put a Free
mailer on it, it won't be blocked from the list.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/