[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jul 12 01:51:05 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 06:30:54PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> It's a good thing software freedom isn't a matter of religion.

That's good.

> For some, though, it's a matter of elitism.

While I've started using open source since about 1981, and
mostly open source since 1988 (but for the OS itself) running
free/libre exclusively at this time is rather kinky BDSM.
Paradoxically, I might be forced to do just that because
our government is crazy enough to do SIGINT on Tor operators,
including injection of custom malware. No, I am not kidding.

In practice my deviation from the pure church is tainting the
kernel with binary nVidia drivers, and running a G4 notebook with
OS X on it. I'm unapologetic for either. I need my accelerated
3d (there is no alternative at that point), and in practice I
don't use any proprietary features of OS X other than pretty
antialiased fonts in the terminal window. (Okay, Keynote.
I can easily do the same in native OpenOffice, though).

I really don't need Nick fucking Moffit lecturing me about
so-called 'short-term' tradeoffs, and getting hooked on proprietary
features, thanks.