[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jul 12 00:21:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 01:47:45AM -0400, Rob Funk wrote:

> Nor do they run with nVidia's 3D-accelerated binary drivers.  Or can

Too bad for those drivers. Given another decade, they might
be there. Assuming I'm still there, and still care, I might
be running those.

> the "nv" driver handle 3D on the Ultra 20's video card?

I don't think so. I was going to ask for the fastest
passively cooled nVidia (I'm running GeForce 7600 GS),
but this is clearly not the right forum to ask hardware
questions, and expect well-informed answers.

> Though coming up with a modern elitist machine that has all-free drivers
> and halfway-decent 3D (for compiz/beryl) on at least three DVI monitors
> seems to be an exercise in frustration if not futility.

Right. Which is why I didn't bothered to ask.

> (As a former Sun admin and Ultra 10 user, it's very strange to read of
> a "Sun Ultra 20" machine that has an AMD rather than SPARC processor.)

As a current sys/network admin I'm running all and sundry. I rather like the
AMD kind (which is a vanilla PC), though the old hardware is much
better engineered (OpenBoot, system stability, mechanical properties).