[linux-elitists] Dedicated hosting

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jul 12 00:12:12 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:47:05AM -0400, James Morris wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good dedicated hosting provider?

I'm rather happy with Hetzner (not the South African one).
I'm renting a rack there, but they also offer single machines.

> Need to be able to install Fedora or RHEL-esque, and hopefully have remote
> console over IP and remote reboot.  The idea is to host a couple of

A good box for that is the SunFire X2100 M2 (not it's predecessor,
which has some braindeadish IMPI -- it works with latest ipmitools
but is no picnic). You'd need an Internet Explorer to
drive it, though, natch. (The X4xxx Sun boxes are not so braindamaged
but considerably more expensive).

> development projects with git/trac/ftp/http/ssh accounts for users.  The
> projects will exist in separate kvm instances.

I suggest to use the Linux VServer patch. Such kernels are in stock
Debian (32 bit, not 64 bit, though). You can install into the guest
whatever you like, but for the kernel that is shared.