[linux-elitists] ultra 20 m2

Rob Funk rfunk@funknet.net
Wed Jul 11 22:47:45 PDT 2007

Modus Operandi wrote:
> In the immortal words of Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>:
> > On 11-Jul-2007, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > > I think I'll install OpenSolaris, Windows XP Professional and a
> > > recent Ubuntu (running 6.06 LTS right now).
> >
> > So much for Linux Elitism.
>
>   Real Linux Elitists don't run dual-boot systems.

Nor do they run with nVidia's 3D-accelerated binary drivers.  Or can
the "nv" driver handle 3D on the Ultra 20's video card?

Though coming up with a modern elitist machine that has all-free drivers
and halfway-decent 3D (for compiz/beryl) on at least three DVI monitors
seems to be an exercise in frustration if not futility.

(As a former Sun admin and Ultra 10 user, it's very strange to read of
a "Sun Ultra 20" machine that has an AMD rather than SPARC processor.)