[linux-elitists] Debian VPS?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Jul 9 14:08:20 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 11:43 -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> I'm looking for a low-cost but basically reliable
> virtual private server on which to run Debian.
> That's about it -- nothing fancy.  I'm planning to put
> RT, some cron jobs, and possibly Mailman on the box,
> and don't anticipate much traffic.
>
> So far I have looked at:
>
>   http://www.tektonic.net/vds.php?op=budget_plans
>
>   http://linode.com/products/linodes.cfm
>
> Anyone have recent experience with these or other
> VPS companies?  Suggestions or pointers welcome.

Going back through things... I've seen some first hand experience with
Slicehost.

	http://www.slicehost.com/

It seems they do very well about "over selling", depending on memory and
slice sizing a single real machine has between 7 and 24 Virtual Private
servers. A friend of mine has his stuff there and he has 2 VPS, one $70
1024slice and a $20 256slice. He is really happy, versus being on
Keenspot and killing his shared machine there, or being killed there.

And the FAQ answers a lot of questions many have:

	http://www.slicehost.com/faq

Sorry Don, maybe you should use them... instead of that Dallas thingy.
At least maybe mailman would dump on you silently...

/me ducks and runs
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05