[linux-elitists] Free Driver Development!

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Jan 30 17:19:43 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:22:10AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> How are we going to get this to the hardware manufacturers?
>
> Advertisements in PHB magazines? In Developer Magazines? In rags that
> are for silicon chipset industries: Graphics Card, NICs, hard-drive
> controllers...etc?
> IBM commercials similar to the ones that showed the Boy learning and
> being mentored? But now, offering to something tantalizing such as
> native Linux functionality or compatibility?
>
> In the US
> Get congress to enact bills?
>
> Trick the Department of Homeland Security into mandating it?
>
> Anything else?

Point everyone and anyone that ever complains that "Linux driver
development is hard and would cost our company too much to support such
a minority operating system".

Now there is no excuse they can use, we have a NDA program in place to
handle those last few holdouts that do not want just anyone to get the
specs for their devices.

> For those that haven't seen it:
> http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/#free_drivers
>
> Oh, SNAP, that is Greg's blog! Imagine that. Kudos to you Greg.

Heh, try using:
	www.kroah.com/log/linux/free_drivers.html
instead.

Gotta figure out how to make bloxsom to use the "real" static urls by
default, instead of the date ones...

thanks,

greg k-h