[linux-elitists] Free Driver Development!

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Jan 30 11:20:29 PST 2007

begin Greg Folkert quotation of Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:22:10AM -0500:

> How are we going to get this to the hardware manufacturers?

FreedomHEC 2007.
  http://freedomhec.pbwiki.com/

Attending WinHEC? Just extend your stay in Los Angeles
(*not* New Orleans, way to try to fake us out)
for a couple days, and get plugged in to the Linux
development scene.

This year, FreedomHEC will focus on matching up
hardware vendors who are interested in doing Linux
but don't want to add another heavyweight driver
process with kernel developers who want to develop
and maintain support for that type of hardware.

> Advertisements in PHB magazines? In Developer Magazines? In rags that
> are for silicon chipset industries: Graphics Card, NICs, hard-drive
> controllers...etc?

I'll get this into the IDG pipeline somehow.
Quote Greg and disclaim myself, I guess.

> IBM commercials similar to the ones that showed the Boy learning and
> being mentored? But now, offering to something tantalizing such as
> native Linux functionality or compatibility?
>
> In the US
> Get congress to enact bills?

Bullshit counts toward GDP, so on paper a low-bullshit
driver process "hurts the economy".  Until the
government starts getting some metrics that aren't
loaded with broken window fallacies, the best Congress
can do is stay out of the way.

> Trick the Department of Homeland Security into mandating it?

Top-down mandates are so twentieth-century.  It's all
about emergent order now.  Didn't you get the memo,
I mean the gradual percolating awareness from a
zillion news and opinion sources?

> BTW, this whole idea is awesome. Nice way to get them (manufacturers) to
> view it... Free Linux Drivers! This could also spread into getting
> better support for other OSes as well, such as the BSDs, Sky... err umm
> yeah.
>
> For those that haven't seen it:
> http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/#free_drivers

Free as in beer, free as in Dmitry.