[linux-elitists] Show Us The Code

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Feb 28 22:39:20 PST 2007

begin Greg Folkert quotation of Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:47:55PM -0500:
> On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 17:20 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):
> >
> > > Proof that that sign is working:
> > > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/thread.html#01006
> >
> > I remember, back around 1995, recursively chmod'ing some poorly
> > specified glob while (inattentively) wielding root authority, in /lib.
> > It was embarrassing and a chore to recover from.  Blaming the
> > distribution never occurred to me.  Lack of imagination, no doubt.
>
> I have to admit, I did a similar fubar on an HP-UX machine ~1996 but
> in /usr. I did it in the middle of the day.
>
> Printing stopped, the the DB failed to execute queries, then people
> tried to reboot the windows machines they used and re-log in... none
> could.
>
> It is the only time I restored from the previous Friday's bootable tape
> the middle of a day, glad I made them that way and didn't rely on SAM to
> do it.

This is where I ask about RPM rollback.  Is anyone
on the list who administers RPM-based systems turning
this feature on?  Anyone used it for real?  It looks
great (disk space is cheap compared to admin time or
worse, downtime), but what's the catch?  (Other than
Red Hat apparently not liking to turn it on by default
in RHEL.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/