[linux-elitists] Show Us The Code

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Feb 28 17:47:55 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 17:20 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):
>
> > Proof that that sign is working:
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/thread.html#01006
>
> I remember, back around 1995, recursively chmod'ing some poorly
> specified glob while (inattentively) wielding root authority, in /lib.
> It was embarrassing and a chore to recover from.  Blaming the
> distribution never occurred to me.  Lack of imagination, no doubt.

I have to admit, I did a similar fubar on an HP-UX machine ~1996 but
in /usr. I did it in the middle of the day.

Printing stopped, the the DB failed to execute queries, then people
tried to reboot the windows machines they used and re-log in... none
could.

It is the only time I restored from the previous Friday's bootable tape
the middle of a day, glad I made them that way and didn't rely on SAM to
do it.

Company lost about 2 hours of ordering operations. Of course 30 or so
people were involved in that. It also caused a gap in Shop-floor
production of about an hour the following night about 70 people involved
in that.

All told, including my time and support time involved and the President
and controller standing over my shoulder during me fixing up the
problem... cost the company well over 150 man hours.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup