[linux-elitists] Show Us The Code

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Feb 26 14:45:05 PST 2007

Well, I hope by now many of us on this list have been offended by Steve
Ballmer's "Linux infringes our Intellectual Property and it needs to pay
for it" spouting.

        Linux "uses our intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to
        "get the appropriate economic return for our shareholders from
        our innovation."

Our precious Don Marti was able to draw out of Jeremy Allison, there are
apparently companies that are paying for Linux "IP infringement" off the
record... and I mean completely off-the-record. Of course, here say.

In fact there is a fairly large company (US $3B projected this year) I
live near that is in that position(1). They are transitioning off Novell
Netware for Printing, File Storage and Groupwise hosting, going to
deploying SLES and Windows2K3 server, out of trying to reduce the risk
of Microsoft's lawsuit possibility.

Since I know a few of these people in the decision chain. It has been
indicated to me, that "selling" tactics are getting VERY VERY nasty.

Selling tactics such as: License audits even though they have vendor
supplied certifications of compliance, forfeit of any "discount" license
program, threats of per-instance support only at non-priority levels,
removal of dedicated support personnel... among other things.

How is it that if Microsoft is SOOOOOO respectful of Intellectual
Property that they are regularly found in infringement of much "IP" from
other entities such as Alcatel-Lucent(2), Real, Sun, SystemMax... many,
many others.

And now that Groklaw is down due to a "fried" Raid Card... eluded to by
Andrew Orlowski last week. Groklaw also now going through the motions of
properly mirroring what used to be the Comes v. Microsoft website
(http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/). How can all of these things be
coincidence?

Maybe, just maybe I am paranoid. But then again, maybe not.

(1) == I've been told that should I name the company or people working
for it, I'll be sued. Again, this is here say.
(2) == Yeah, US$1.52B is a lot, it'll get reduced and maybe over-turned
as being "frivolous" or something similar.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup