[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Sat Dec 29 10:12:37 PST 2007

On Thursday 27 December 2007, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Using Firefox profiles instead of different users have other advantages -
> > see below.
>
> I file this under the general trap of assuming that a feature that can
> be used well is necessary. I can think of a number of ways to make
> excellent use of a can opener on my coffee cup. However, it would make
> my coffee cup unwieldy and more expensive, so I don't have one there.
> It's not a matter of identifying the benefits alone, but the
> relationship between the costs and the benefits. How much performance
> and/or resident memory size do you sacrifice for that feature as
> compared with other features? Is *that* worth it?

You're right. However, while a can opener on your coffee cup can easily be
substituted with having a separate can opener, Firefox profiles cannot be
substituted with anything else. Plus, many people need them and make a good
use of them. And finally, you don't sacrifice a lot of "performance and/or
resident memory size" from them, because when Firefox starts with a certain
profile it just reads/writes some of the settings from a certain
profile-specific directory, and that's all there is to it.

There can be other disadvantages like decreased usability, etc.

So I still think the advantages outweigh the small disadvantages, and I'm
certainly find myself needing this feature.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish