[linux-elitists] Looking at Benefits only. Was: (Re: Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea)

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Dec 27 09:30:30 PST 2007

Starting a new thread for those that won't like this, so they can just
twit it out or mark the thread as ignore with out nixing the old thread.

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 11:15 -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Using Firefox profiles instead of different users have other
> advantages - see
> > below.
> >

> I file this under the general trap of assuming that a feature that
> can
> be used well is necessary. I can think of a number of ways to make
> excellent use of a can opener on my coffee cup. However, it would
> make
> my coffee cup unwieldy and more expensive, so I don't have one there.
> It's not a matter of identifying the benefits alone, but the
> relationship between the costs and the benefits. How much performance
> and/or resident memory size do you sacrifice for that feature as
> compared with other features? Is *that* worth it?
>
> I'm not taking a stand on profiles per se, just advocating for
> looking
> at more than just benefits.

This goes a long way, in general.

Lets look at the current debacle with Ethanol Production in the US.

It takes *AT LEAST* 7% more energy to produce Ethanol from corn or other
grains, than it yields and that doesn't even get it to the distribution
locations. Excuse me but: WTF?

Bio-Diesel from Algae grown in waste water pools and/or bad water shed,
(think a large artificial lake in California formed by unknown to be bad
irrigation practices in the 1930s, 1940s and so on) can produce as much
as a 40% energy return before getting to distribution.

Even cut in half as the cost to distribute, a 20% return is far better
than this stupid Food for Fuel strategy. Even then, Bio-Diesel is far
cleaner than traditional "low-sulfur" petroleum based diesel. In fact,
many Fuel plants add Bio-Diesel to regular Diesel to "green it up".

Oh, green, Ethanol was originally made as an additive to clean up
Gasoline, make it run cleaner. Added at small levels its near perfect
for the purpose. Now using it for the primary fuel in the mix, what a
laughable thing.

So, looking at only the benefits of Ethanol sure looks great, but the
sheer energy cost and pillaging of the Corn and other grain crops are
forcing farmers to use alternative stock feed, such as candy bars, old
bedding, discarded seaweed, hay only, plain old lard, among other things
is driving up the price of near everything.

SNAP! Lets hope ADM (Archer-Daniels-Midland) doesn't read this... or I
am a dead man!

And just so everyone understands, this does have a lot to do with the
computing industry, this folly is also driving up the costs of delivery
and manufacturing of everything. This will soon come to a head. Soon is
relative though, I am sure its being timed for post 01/20/2009, to pass
the blame (game) on to the Democrats.

But that assumes that Bush doesn't cancel the Election under some
obscure priv he has as pResident (yes not President, but prime Resident)

Kaplah! The witch is dead!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05