[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Dec 5 10:34:27 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:32:14PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:36:14PM -0800:
>
> > The one feature which _would_ be damned useful in a browser, first
> > voiced to my knowledge by Don Marti, would be an option to run an
> > underprivileged, chrooted, and otherwise sandboxed instance in such a
> > way that malicious external code and data would have a minimal
> > opportunity to cause havoc on my own systems.
>
> I do something sort of like this, daily, to deal
> with...let's just say a legacy web application.
> Run it as a different user.
>   ssh -X legacy@localhost firefox http://internal.example.com/legacy/
>
> There is a good reason to have something like
> "profiles" -- testing web sites.  Have your own
> profile with your own choice of font settings,
> extensions, and other personalization, plus a profile
> with stock settings, or maybe one with the red/green
> color blindless simulator on.

BTW Don ;)

My youngest daughter knows how to switch counsels and start an additional
X11 session under her own user account without disturbing the
old mans desktop :)

I imagine that your son will learn this as well, and sooner than
you anticipate.

Ruben