[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Dec 5 10:31:03 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:56:06PM -0500, Ruben Safir wrote:

> >    But here I'm seeing (perhaps I'm wrong) something less clearly a
> > design flaw and more so into the viable but not desirable usage
> > range.
>
> Hello James
>
> I'm making an assumption of experience here with the reader that perhaps you
> don't have.  What does Firefox do if it crashes and you restart it>
>
> What does it do when you start it more than once?

Wow - I hadn't noticed but it looks like much of the profile issue has been
actually fixed.  Not that this entire code tree is likely a waste of effort
which could have been used for something far more important, BUT, I
see now that the profile manager doesn't pop up any longer when you
kill firefox.  But the related issue of THIS still happens

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/images/firefox_not_responding.png

This sucks from the ground up and is a major implimentation problem
created by trying to make this browser assbackwards compatable with
a MS Windows OS.

How many hours of programming was sank into this bottomless pit?

Ruben