[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Wed Dec 5 03:27:52 PST 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 05:39:22 pm Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 05:04:30PM -0800, James Sparenberg
(james@linuxrebel.org) wrote:

> > 12:36:14PM -0800:
>
> <Digressed thread on Firefox profile merits/demerits snipped>
>
> > I've tended to notice that there seem to be two camps within the
> > Linux community.
> >
> > Camp #1  "I know what is best for you, so since I don't want to
> > do it you aren't allowed to do it."
> >
> > Camp #2 "I don't care what features it has, as long as I'm not
> > forced to use the ones I don't like."
> >
> > I'll personally stick with camp #2 .... acknowledge that Nokia is
> > in camp #1 (long story) and move on.
> >
> > But really does it hurt you that someone else uses a product
> > differently than you?
>
> In an internetworked world, yes.  There are secondary effects, and
> some of them (Slammer, SoBig, spam in general) can be quite
> noxious.
<snip>

> I don't know that Mozilla is doing anything particularly harmful
> here, though I'm not convinced that they aren't either.  I'm pretty
> damned sure they're doing something that's not particularly
> necessary or useful on any modern OS, as previously detailed.
>

> Peace.

Karsten,

   Where I can see and in many cases agree with the idea of bad UI and
schema design killing you in the long run, even if they bad design is
really a result of something coming along that was never even
conceived of  (DOS creators never envisioned tcp/ip and networking.)
and some are just foolish (the iphone runs as root)

   But here I'm seeing (perhaps I'm wrong) something less clearly a
design flaw and more so into the viable but not desirable usage
range.   For example I can NOT stand people using their desktop as a
file system, and maximizing every application on a 1600x1280 screen
(then typing a word doc in 10 pt font. ?!?)  but there is no solid,
definable problem in doing that other than it drives me nuts.
Conversely when Linspire (then Lindows) came out running everthing as
root, I could accurately point to a serious design flaw.

   Jeff Raskin was one of those who often took the "Father knows best"
attitude to UI design.  He told the story of turning background
foreground and font color to red on an Ultimate Usability app design.
He thought it was good to protect the user from doing this.  I
contend that it's much more fun to laugh after they do, do it, then
walk away giggling.

   Then again that's why I prefer the WM I use.  More configuration
options.  Little noticeable (to me) speed drop.  On that one I'm in
Linus' camp.