[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Tue Dec 4 17:04:30 PST 2007

On Saturday 01 December 2007 08:28:20 pm Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:32:14PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at
12:36:14PM -0800:
> > > The one feature which _would_ be damned useful in a browser,
> > > first voiced to my knowledge by Don Marti, would be an option
> > > to run an underprivileged, chrooted, and otherwise sandboxed
> > > instance in such a way that malicious external code and data
> > > would have a minimal opportunity to cause havoc on my own
> > > systems.
> >
> > I do something sort of like this, daily, to deal
> > with...let's just say a legacy web application.
> > Run it as a different user.
> >   ssh -X legacy@localhost firefox
> > http://internal.example.com/legacy/
>
> What are user accounts for?
>
> > There is a good reason to have something like
> > "profiles" -- testing web sites.  Have your own
> > profile with your own choice of font settings,
> > extensions, and other personalization, plus a profile
> > with stock settings, or maybe one with the red/green
> > color blindless simulator on.
>
> Thats hardly a good enough reason to waste so much coding effort
> into.
>
> Its a waste to accomedate windows systems which are otherwise
> multiuser challenged.  I hate wasting resorces for such things and
> it also tends to destroy GNU/X11 compatability.
>
> The efforts to double OS features like profiles and clip board cut
> and paste systems is just a waste and should be exnied from the
> start.
>
> Why do you have to rewrite an OS into an application?  Because a
> Windows user might want it?   Let the Windows drones convert to
> free software.
>
> Ruben

I've tended to notice that there seem to be two camps within the Linux
community.

Camp #1  "I know what is best for you, so since I don't want to do it
you aren't allowed to do it."

Camp #2 "I don't care what features it has, as long as I'm not forced
to use the ones I don't like."

I'll personally stick with camp #2 .... acknowledge that Nokia is in
camp #1 (long story) and move on.

But really does it hurt you that someone else uses a product
differently than you?

James