[linux-elitists] Firefox Profiles are a Good Idea

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sat Dec 1 20:28:20 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:32:14PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:36:14PM -0800:
>
> > The one feature which _would_ be damned useful in a browser, first
> > voiced to my knowledge by Don Marti, would be an option to run an
> > underprivileged, chrooted, and otherwise sandboxed instance in such a
> > way that malicious external code and data would have a minimal
> > opportunity to cause havoc on my own systems.
>
> I do something sort of like this, daily, to deal
> with...let's just say a legacy web application.
> Run it as a different user.
>   ssh -X legacy@localhost firefox http://internal.example.com/legacy/

What are user accounts for?

> There is a good reason to have something like
> "profiles" -- testing web sites.  Have your own
> profile with your own choice of font settings,
> extensions, and other personalization, plus a profile
> with stock settings, or maybe one with the red/green
> color blindless simulator on.

Thats hardly a good enough reason to waste so much coding effort into.

Its a waste to accomedate windows systems which are otherwise multiuser
challenged.  I hate wasting resorces for such things and it also tends to
destroy GNU/X11 compatability.

The efforts to double OS features like profiles and clip board cut and paste
systems is just a waste and should be exnied from the start.

Why do you have to rewrite an OS into an application?  Because a Windows
user might want it?   Let the Windows drones convert to free software.

Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium