[linux-elitists] How is it possible to have a dual licensed Linux Distro.

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 31 18:03:23 PDT 2007

On 31-Aug-2007, Rick Moen wrote:
> "Derivative work" as a term of art within copyright law needs to be
> carefully distinguished from bundling without derivation (what FSF
> likes to call "mere aggregation").

Yes, I forgot that distinction. Thanks.

> Most constituent codebases on a typical Linux (GNU/Linux, whatever)
> distribution are highly unlikely to ever be judged derivative works
> of each other.

I don't know how you judge this probability without actually getting
such a judgement in court. The logic of what is and is not a derived
work has never been clear to me.

--
 \        "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no |
  `\    choreography, and the dancers hit each other."  -- Jack Handey |