[linux-elitists] How is it possible to have a dual licensed Linux Distro.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 31 17:04:24 PDT 2007

Quoting Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au):

> Any work of creative expression recognised under copyright law
> automatically has a copyright holder. A GNU/Linux distribution, if it
> involves such creative expression, can thus be licensed as a whole by
> its copyright holder, and can even be dual-licensed, as with any other
> work.
>
> Of course, such a distribution would be a derived work of all the
> parts that comprise it,

Hereby disputed.  Actually, on reflection, I'll just say "No, sir."

"Derivative work" as a term of art within copyright law needs to be
carefully distinguished from bundling without derivation (what FSF
likes to call "mere aggregation").  Most constituent codebases on a
typical Linux (GNU/Linux, whatever) distribution are highly unlikely to
ever be judged derivative works of each other.

(IANAL, TINLA, YADA.)